Friday, July 24, 2009

Wow - a decade!

Ten years ago today, Chris and I were married. July 24, 1999! Ten Years!! So much has happened since then. I have absolutely loved being married to this man. He was and is the man of my dreams, honestly. God certainly knew what he was doing when he put us together.

Our story:
We were introduced by a mutual friend of ours, Heather Shimek. It was February 1996 - Chris knows the exact date. Chris and his friend Tosh had a few extra tickets for a Michael W Smith concert. They decided to invite Heather and asked her to bring two of her friends. I happened to be one of them. Chris and I really didn't talk too much that night. I do remember looking over at him in the car on the way home thinking that he was kind of cute.

Heather and I became very quick best friends. During the next year, she and I spent a lot of time with Chris (or Ruckdog as we all called him then), Toah and Jamie May. Those were the times. I worked at TCBY and Jamie worked at the video store next door. On the weekends, we would all meet after the stores closed at Denny's of all places. We also spent a lot of time at the Lamar basketball games and such.

I had a crush on Chris for the next year and he jumped from dating one girl to another. It was kind of hard to get his attention in not just a friendly way if you know what I mean. Towards the end of my senior year of high school I started to be a little more bold. I invited him to ho bowling, just the two of us, for example. I think he was a little surprised by that! Anyway, I was finally starting to catch his attention and so I asked him to escort me to my senior prom. Bless him, he said yes. Remember, he is 3 1/2 years older than me!

We became inseperable after that. September 1998 he proposed and we were married 10 months later, with Chris fresh out of college and me just finishing my sophomore year. Thank goodness my parents let that happen! :)

I finished up college and then we moved to Lubbock for him to go to Law school. Those years may be some of our favorites as a married couple before kids. We made some great friends and really grew in our relationship. After graduation, we moved back to the Houston area and started our family. Aidan was born on July 8, 2006 and Logan on March 5, 2009. Time has flown and I have loved almost every minute of it! :)

Thank you sweetie for taking the time to pay attention to the younger gal! Happy Anniversary!!

3 comments:

Paul and Candice said...

Congrats! I love hearing people's story about how they met! Yours was very sweet! It was so much fun to see you guys and visit today!

Alisa said...

Congratulations! You two are such a great couple. We're all blessed to know you!

Julie said...

i hadn't heard that story in years! it was fun to hear it again. i too look back at our law school days and think about how fun they were! remember the limo ride and all of our potlucks? i miss those days!
happy anniversary!