Thursday, September 25, 2008

Who wants to stay in time-out?

Aidan. This blog is going to be all about my poor sick, hot-tempered, stubborn child. I know that not everyone wants to hear the bad moments with a two-year-old, but you will just have to bear with me.

I mentioned in my last post that Aidan has been sick with a virus since this past weekend. (He still has fever - poor guy!) However, that is NO excuse for bad behavior in my book. These last few days have been really interesting during certain times of the day. You see, when Aidan's medicine is kicked in, he actually perks up and plays a bit. When it is not, we usually have two types of personalities to deal with: Aidan being clingy and sleepy or Aidan being completely unbearable. I am going to mention the unbearable moments here.

He has really started to get aggressive by hitting me when he does not get his way. These hits aren't hard, but that really is not the point. So, he has been spending some time in time-outs. Usually he stays in for about 2-3 minutes. When the time is up, I calmly walk over and have a discussion with him about why he was in time-out and then ask him to say sorry to me. Then we hug, kiss and say we love each other. (Super Nanny anyone?!) Let me mention now that he has always been eager to say sorry and get out of time-out. Except now. He has stayed in time-out for almost 25 minutes because when I go over and start to have the discussion with him, Aidan looks at me with a stubborn, angry face. When I ask if he is ready to say sorry, he turns a little red, gets all stiff and screams NO. So, back in time-out he goes. Of course he does not sit in there quietly contemplating what he has done - I know, he is 2 - this child of mine screams at the top of his lungs. This screaming has reached new heights compared to before. I am trying to figure out if I just need to be consistent because he is testing me or if I need to start doing something else.

I know he is not exactly himself with being under the weather, but I am just hoping that this type of behavior leaves with the fever. If anyone has any advice or words of wisdom, feel free to comment. Who said parenting was easy, huh?

2 comments:

The Hoeflers said...

You're not alone!! Yea I know..doesn't make you feel better right?! ha! Peyton does the same things although no one believes me. My theory is they're testing us. Hitting has been a big thing in our house right now...he got in time out at school for beating another kid with a block. I think I'm lacking consistency..sometimes there's just no energy! Good luck..I hear it gets better. :-)

Erin Bloggs-Brady said...

Just a word of encouragement from here...we're going through the same thing, so I don't have any advice (sorry!). But, thought I'd chime in with an "Amen" and "Good Job!" The only thing that makes it easier to get through those moments are the sweet ones later, huh? He's still a beautiful boy though!!