Thursday, June 18, 2009

Aidan's a big boy now!

To my shock and horror, Aidan's class at MDO is considered a 3 year old class this summer. I was thinking he wouldn't be considered that until the fall, but evidently I was wrong. The reason this is a big deal in our lives right now is that the 3 year old class does NOT TAKE NAPS, the kiddos are supposed to be potty trained and I get to wait in the car line for drop off and pick up (this is a plus with Logan). The issue is the first two.

Not take naps??? Come on!!! Pick up is at 2:30, which would not be too late to go home and take one, but Aidan has been so excited and hyper when I pick him up. If he does nap afterwards, it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to calm him down enough to even get him to lay down. 3:30 is kind of late. So, this Tuesday Aidan didn't even take a nap. Then Wednesday (a no school day) he decided to not take a nap too! Okay - neither of us is ready to give them up. Aidan NEEDS his naps. He is a BEAST if he does not take them. So, I got to wake up with over-tired Aidan this morning. I feel sorry for his teachers today.

Potty trained? Okay. So, we actually tried about a month ago and he was so not ready. So, potty training boot camp began last Friday. So far Aidan is doing great! He pretty much tells me when he needs to go and had 3 days with no accidents at home. The problem however is at school and childcare at church. I put him in his underwear and then a pull-up whenever we leave the house just in case. He handles it okay but when he is at these two places, he keeps on having accidents. They tell me he will not go. Hmm. What am I supposed to do? Probably just give it more time and talk to him about how he needs to go other places too. But, overall things are going well in that department.

I have been picking him up in the car line, but walking him in to his class for drop off due to needing to discuss with the teachers some of the potty training issues we are having. Today however was different. I decided to just drop him off. Okay, for those of you who know Aidan pretty well, know that he is still somewhat sensitive to leaving me, so I was very unsure how this was going to go, considering the teachers unbuckle them and everything. Very convenient for me!! Boy was I surprised. He said hi to the teacher, said bye to me and climbed out and walked off. No concerned look. Actually I don't think he even looked back at me at all! Let's just say I was pleasantly shocked and am so proud of my big boy!

Before I know it, he will be driving and heading off to college. :) Well, you know, one of these days.

3 comments:

Shaun said...

Oh he's doing so great, how awesome! I can't believe the no naps thing, Jacob is in the 4.5 to 5 yr old class and they still nap. He rarely naps for me on weekends but I can't imagine if he never napped on weekdays - eek! I know he'll settle into a routine, perhaps bedtime at 6:30??? tee hee hee...

The Hoeflers said...

We started potty training boot camp this week too! And we braved the 5 hour drive to Bossier on Wednesday..I'm crazy I know. This is just a suggestion to help Aidan potty while he's out...we've been taking short trips out this week..out to eat or to the bookstore. While we're there I make sure I take him to the potty...so far he's gone everywhere we've been! shocking. We start MDO next week so all this could change very quickly. LOL Good luck!

McElroy Family Happenings said...

I do not look forward to potty training!