Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Craziness

This week is proving to be eventful for us over here.

For starters, this past weekend Chris and I decided to go all out and work on demolishing a walking path in our backyard.

It was something that I didn't need to have when we bought the house, but it was kind of nice. It traveled all along the back of our house from our deck to the side. It was made of little pebbles, was curvy and was flanked on either side by an array of plants and arbors. When the inspector told us that it would probably have to be ripped out because the whole thing was built up above our foundation, we sighed and said okay, eventually. So when we moved into the house two years ago, we kept up with the bare minimum until it became an eyesore.

Due to concerns over the termite and water issues with it being above our foundation and along with it just turning very ugly, we decided enough was enough, and knew it was time.

We knew it was going to be a tough job, but completely underestimated how tough. Add onto that Chris' long hours at work and our crazy schedule as of late, and we quickly realized that we needed to outsource. So today a crew of 5 men came and worked half a day to finish ripping it out, leveling the grounds, laying sod and rocks for drainage. It is real simple, but I am thrilled. I wish I had a real recent picture of it somewhere, but here is what it looks like:



The next crazy thing is that we are getting a new front door. Nothing fancy, just a door. But I am thrilled because we are losing a lot of "bought air" through the huge cracks between our very warped door and frame. No pictures yet because they are supposed to be installing it later this week.

Now that we have spent all this money on these two things (good bye bonus!) our ac is starting to act up. We have a man coming out tomorrow am. Yes, we have new duct work and a new outside unit. Now we may have to bite it and get an inside unit even though it is only 4-5 years old! Grrrrr.

Oh, did I mention that during bible study at our house last night one of our dear friends daughter got into some theragesic (bengay type product) Add a call to poison control to the list. We are so sorry she got to it and are so happy that she is alright and nothing serious happened, except for some obvious discomfort from the heat. OUCH!

And, fare warning to everyone who was at our house last night, Aidan has some sort of bug. He has a mild temp and feels lethargic. So, thank goodness his school is out for two weeks because he would be missing today anyway. I am sad, however, that we will be missing bible study tomorrow. :(

That in a nutshell is our week. Whew!

1 comment:

The Pences said...

No worries about the theragesic -- she's totally fine! The yard looks great -- I'm a huge fan of simple when it comes to upkeep -- looks very cute! I soooo hope it's something simple with your inside unit -- that is no fun at all! We're making steps toward replacing our outside unit. I've been doing a lot of standing/laying in front of the fan lately... poor thing just can't keep up. I think we should skip the rest of summer weather this year and move down into the 70s for a while. :)