Sunday, June 08, 2008

Bed update




These pictures are for you Jessica (sleeping pictures) and for you Carrie (you guys share the same sleeping position! :-)

I thought that now it has been two weeks since we transitioned Aidan into his toddler bed, I would let you know how it has been going. We have had some bumps, but overall I would say that it has gone much smoother than I thought.

The most drama has come with what to do with the door/doorway since he can now get out of bed quickly. We started with the gate at the door and then quickly changed to closing the door with the child doorknob thingy on the inside, making it difficult for him to get out. That went fine for a few days until he locked himself inside his room. Making a long story short, Aidan's door has a push lock on the inside and when he locked it, we realized that the hole on the outside where we were to insert a tiny screwdriver and turn had been mashed in so well that it made it impossible to unlock it that way. And yes, it was not one of the ones like our other doors where you just push something in the hole and unlock it. Chris came home from work to help me figure it out. We did not want to break the window or break the door down and luckily Aidan was napping, which gave us some time to make a decision. He ended up opening it with his old driver's license.

After that, we decided until we got a chance to change the doorknob, which has been painted over (fun for us), the door would just have to stay open. So we put the gate back up. The next day Aidan was putting enough pressure on it that it fell over with him on it. Hmm. Next idea.

Finally, we just decided to leave the door open. Each time he came out of his room, we would calmly walk him back to his bed. After a few times of that, we would be more stern with it. Each nap/bedtime, we end up having to do this a few times, but then he will eventually stay in his bed and fall asleep. The great thing is that he has been sleeping through the night too! I was so happy about this that I mentioned how easy it has been thus far to my mother. Big no-no. That night, Aidan woke up at 1 and for the next two hours was determined to stay up. I seriously lost count on how many times I had to walk him back to bed and/or tell him to lay back down. It was somewhere in the 30 range. I have heard that kids will sometimes do this and I knew that I could not give in or it would be all over. Around 3, when I was about to yank my hair out, Chris goes in and sternly tells Aidan that he needs to go to sleep. Low and behold - the child stayed in bed and went to sleep! Okay, I have to admit that at that time I was just thankful. It wasn't until the next morning that I was a little annoyed that one, Aidan responded so quickly to Chris after I had been doing the exact same thing for TWO HOURS, and two, I sure wish Chris had done it sooner. To give Chris credit, he was not feeling well that night and so I didn't want to disturb him. But still!! Oh well.

Last night he slept through and I can only hope tonight he will too.

No comments: