Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm Exhasted!

Do you want to know why I am exhausted and it is only lunchtime? Let me fill you in on the details of my morning.

A few weeks ago Chris and I took Aidan for his second 6 month check-up at the dentist. What we found out shocked me. Aidan has at least 4 cavities. WHAT?! Yes. I think I was more surprised because the last appointment he had 2. We brush his teeth every morning and night and are really careful about getting all over. I felt/feel like a horrible mommy because one thing we haven't been doing is flossing.

Dear friends who read this and have small kids - buy those flossing pick things and FLOSS YOUR KIDS TEETH!! Learn from our lesson.

So, we scheduled his appointment to get his fillings for this morning. I woke up at 4:45 am to shower and make sure Aidan got his Tylenol with Codeine at 5 am since his appointment was at 7. He went back to sleep, I made some coffee and finished my bible study. At 6:30 I woke both boys up to get dressed. Chris had a Hearing this morning and couldn't stay home to watch Logan, but my plan was to go straight to Bible Study after his appointment anyway. On a side not, the last 2 fillings went quickly and smoothly. High hopes, right?

We got there fine and they loaded up a movie for Logan in the waiting area and then took Aidan back. I stayed with Logan (I think my first mistake). I could hear some of what was going on . . . lets just say that they were having some difficulty with Aidan being stubborn and dealing with his gag reflex.

Oh boy.

After about 20 minutes, the Dr. comes and brings me back. Evidently Aidan had such a gag reflex that he was only able to get one set of x-rays, on the bad side of his mouth, but that was it. Aidan ended up throwing up a little from being nauseous with the medicines and the gagging. He informed me that Aidan was all numb, but that is where they will have to stop. I looked over at Aidan and knew right away they were right. He looked pale and did NOT look happy at all! In fact, it looked as though he was MAD at the world. Gulp.

I bent down and tried to talk to him, but he would not even open his mouth the tiniest bit for me to even look at his teeth. All that trouble and pain with the shots for nothing. Trying to explain this to him did no good - he has that stubborn gene from . . . well, you know. :)

We spent the next 15 minutes with Aidan hanging over the toilet and me discussing our options with the Dentist. So, we have a consult with a Pediatric Dentist on Friday where they very well may have to put him out to get things done.

It looks as though Aidan will have at least 3 fillings and one tooth extraction. Um . . . all for a 4-year-old!

My mom tells me I had horrible issues with my baby teeth too. Joy. Doesn't make me feel better.

I am taking the rest of the day off feeling sorry for Aidan and feeling like a very pitiful excuse for a mom whose child has to get major work done in his 4-year-old mouth. Don't worry . . . I will be able to re-focus and move on in a few hours. This is how I work. :)

Wish us luck.

7 comments:

The Pences said...

I'd feel exhausted too. And you will bring Logan here next time. :) We like our pedi dentist if you need any names. Poor poor Aidan!!

Paul and Candice said...

We're in that same club! Paul David had a cavity the last appt, then had it filled. They're watching another one, so I figure that will be in 6 months! Daddy's now in charge of Paul David's teeth:) I felt SO Bad as well, but his molars are super tight, so the dentist said that's part of the problem! I hope your day got better and you get lots of rest tonight! Your smiling face was missed this morning!

Lisa Vandenberge said...

praying for you and aidan!!! :(

Lisa Vandenberge said...

PS - you are an AMAZING mommy!!!

Shaun said...

You are not alone - like seriously this just happens! We brush and floss religiously and Jacob will still have cavity 3 and cavity 4 filled in June. Really, ask around it happens to everyone but oh how I totally understand the badge of shame! J/K!!! I am just grateful they came at age 5 and not age 4, because, well, our boys are wired alike ya' know!

The Beasley's said...

Holy cow! I didn't know any of this! Poor you, poor Aidan. That's rough...Abby wouldn't willingly open her mouth either. They're not stupid. I don't even like to open my mouth when I'm there either, and at times I wish I could just be put out, too! Saying a prayer for ya'll!

Lori York said...

Charlie is almost 2 and never been to the dentist...and he won't let me in his mouth to brush his teeth. He just wants to suck all the water from the bristles. I feel like a horrible mommy too!